Retirement villages industry at a glance

  • Roles and responsibilities infographic

    Retirement village snapshot 1 commission for financial capability

    Retirement village snapshot 1a commission for financial capability

    Retirement village snapshot 2 commission for financial capability

    Retirement village snapshot 3 commission for financial capability

    Retirement village snapshot 4 commission for financial capability

Other Ministers

Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (MHUD)

MHUD is the public sector agency with the administrative and policy advisory role on the Retirement Villages Act 2003.

Contact MHUD to:

  • Find additional information about the Retirement Village Act for residents and operators

  • Download a Code of Practice

  • Find out about fees for retirement village registration and contact the Registrar.

Commission for Financial Capability (CFFC)

CFFC is the office of the Retirement Commissioner. Under the Retirement Villages Act 2008 the Retirement Commissioner promotes education and information about retirement villages, monitors the effects of the Act, Regulations and Code of Practice, may make recommendations to the Minister and oversees the disputes panel process.

Contact CFFC to:

Call the Registrar’s office or CFFC’s retirement village helpline on 0800 268 269.

General CFFC contact:

Registrar for Retirement Villages

The Registrar for Retirement Villages administers new and existing village annual registration requirements, determines eligibility of a village to be exempted from registration or having a statutory supervisor, maintains a search register and holds copies of various village documentation.

Contact the Registrar for Retirement Villages to:

  • Report an unregistered village

  • Search to see if a village is registered

  • Find out about fees for retirement village registration

  • Find fees and forms for registration or exemptions

  • Search copies of individual villages’ key documents such as the most up to date ORA or the Deed of Supervision, showing who the statutory supervisor is

  • See a list of who the FMA has licensed to be a statutory supervisor

Call the Registrar’s office or the Commission for Financial Capability’s retirement village helpline on 0800 268 269.

Financial Markets Authority (FMA)

The FMA approves and licenses entities and individuals to act as statutory supervisors, monitors statutory supervisor compliance, and may receive complaints about statutory supervisors.

Contact the FMA to:

  • Find out who current licensed statutory supervisors are and what their obligations are under the Financial Markets Supervisors Act 2011

  • Access a complaint facility for making complaints about statutory supervisors

  • Access application information for becoming licensed as a supervisor

Statutory supervisors

Statutory supervisors are licensed by the Financial Markets Authority and are appointed by an operator on registration of a retirement village under a Deed of Supervision. They monitor the financial position of the village, act as an independent stakeholder for payments by residents to operators, and report annually to the Registrar for Retirement Villages and to residents at an Annual General Meeting.

New Zealand Law Society

New Zealand Law Society has a property law section to assist the public in property law and retirement village matters.

Contact the New Zealand Law Society to:

  • Access a tool to help find lawyers experienced with retirement village matters in different regions

Other groups

Retirement Villages Association (RVA)

The RVA is an industry membership association to which most operators, developers and managers of villages belong.

Contact the RVA to:

  • Use a village finder tool

  • Find out if a village is a member of the RVA

  • See details of conferences and forums for operators, managers and developers of Retirement Villages

  • Find out about the Association’s internal complaint process

Retirement Village Residents Association New Zealand Inc.

This growing national body represents retirement village residents, comprised of regional associations.

Contact the Retirement Village Residents Association to:

  • Join a regional group

  • Access information and checklists for residents and intending residents

Alternative Dispute Resolution organisations

There are other organisations that offer more information on alternative dispute resolution or can be used to find a mediator or alternative dispute resolution practitioner.

Community Groups

Many agencies offer support or information for retirement village residents or intending residents and the public:

Age Concern: a charitable organisation dedicated to those aged 65 plus. Contact an Age Concern worker with knowledge of services available for the elderly, visiting services, elder abuse and neglect support services.

Grey Power: a voluntary organisation with advocacy groups for superannuation, health, and a dedicated retirement villages issues committee

Citizens Advice Bureau: a voluntary organisation promoting general knowledge and helping people to resolve their issues.

Community Law Centres: provide free or low-cost legal advice to eligible people.

Disability Law: a free community service based in Auckland to help disabled people access legal services.



  • Ministry for Social Development (MSD)

    Provides funding to community service providers, income and superannuation services, access to concessions for senior citizens and social housing assessments.

    Contact MSD to:

    • Access a super gold card directory and forums for senior citizens

    • Contact the Office for Senior Citizens, which provides work programmes to help older people have access to information

    Visit the Ministry of Social Development

    Visit SuperSeniors

  • Ministry of Health

    Principal advisor on health and disability for older people, and funds and purchases disability support services nationally.

    Contact Ministry of Health to:

    • Get information on home support services, long term residential care and needs assessments

     Visit the Ministry of Health: Health of older people

  • Trustee Corporations Association (TCA)

    Trustee Corporations Association is an industry membership association to which most statutory supervisory service firms also belong.

    Contact TCA to:

    • Find out about the TCA role and the TCA complaint process

    Visit TCA

  • Health and Disability Commissioner

    Administers consumer complaints about health or disability services and provides information on getting the best from a health or disability service.

    To make a complaint: Health and Disability Commissioner: Making a complaint

    For additional resources: Health and Disability Commissioner: Resources

  • District Health Boards

    Responsible for providing or funding health services in a particular district.

    For more information:

  • Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ)

    Processes applications for superannuation, financial assistance and residential accommodation allowances.

    Visit Work and Income: Benefits and payments